The Laughing Matriarch

The Laughing Matriarch
ma·tri·arch/ˈ A woman who is the head of a family or tribe.

Monday, October 18, 2010

It's a Hard Row to Hoe to Good Karma

Lots to do today.

Had to drive 20 miles to town to do some shopping at the Ace Hardware- where I discussed football with Jim and bought some more pepper/bear spray for the husband's hiking adventures. Then it was off to the Radio Shack where Kevin answered my questions and fixed my cell phone- for free. Yep, then I wandered over to the gas station where the guy who also works in the gourmet cheese shop pumps gas, and he sold me a few lotto tickets to boot. (I never used to say, "to boot." I do now.")

Damn, I love small town living!

When I moved to Chelan, WA from San Diego last year, I had never heard of it, but guess what? It has the third deepest lake in the country- the COUNTRY! And it's one of the cleanest lakes around.



We only have 2500 people but...wait for it.... we have 21 wineries. And counting. That's like... one winery for every 1000 people. And it's crush season. Fruit flies, the smell of fermenting grapes, tourists for the most part- gone- and lots of fun activities.



We actually have one winery where you can drive down a dirt road and over the railroad track ---or you can arrive by boat--- where John Little and family will pour you some tasty Rio Vista wines, their grapes grown along the banks of the mighty Columbia.

You can bring a picnic and sit under giant weeping willow trees and toss sticks to the family dogs. (Seriously though, the dogs will not stop playing catch, so be aware before you throw.)

We have other top-of-the-line wineries such as Hard Row to Hoe, Tssilian Winery, Karma and Lake Chelan Winery and many of them have great food to go with the fantastic wine.

 Tssilian Cellars has an authentic Italian restaurant,( the chef is from SF. His dad was a baker from Italy. Sooo Italian) and they serve Chicken Marsala, along with a large, garlicky, eclectic menu.

Karma- one of my  favorite wineries in the area- and it has a fancy French cave-- dishes up a Caprice Salad that goes perfect with their chewy, creamy Chardonnay. I love it!

Lake Chelan Winery cooks up barbecue baby back ribs grilled up over grape vines and the husband actually produced some of the wine last year...that's right- he worked his ass off for your drinking pleasure. You're welcome!

Things happen for a reason. I had to sell my home in California last year and move to a place like Chelan to find work and happiness. Woe is me, woe is me.
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. You stomping grapes; so "I Love Lucy." Looks like an idyllic place to call home. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete