The Laughing Matriarch

The Laughing Matriarch
ma·tri·arch/ˈ A woman who is the head of a family or tribe.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

I Love You June Cleaver!

Yesterday couldn't have been more like a day back in 1955.

I spent all day, and I mean ALL DAY in the kitchen. The husband watched college football all day..and yes, I mean ALL DAY!

But that was fine by me. Although the sun was shining and the sky was a ridiculously gorgeous color of blue, it was pretty cold. It seems that autumn is rushing us into winter- so cooking and football seemed pretty apropos for the day.

I jumped out of bed in the morning, put on an apron, filled up the crock-pot for dinner, brought out the canning equipment and channeled my inner June Cleaver. Not sure if June ever made salsa for the Beaver, but what the hell, she probably always wanted to spice up the show just a little.

The view out of my kitchen window is of the Cascade Mountains, so I felt the need for a little heat.







HA! 20 pounds of tomatoes from a farmer in Wenatchee, 7 hours later turned into 12 quart jars of CaliWa Salsa and 10 quarts of Gone Fruity Salsa. ( Ahem, I've written for advertising, can you tell?)



The kitchen was thrashed, my hands were stained red and the husband was afraid to enter, but I was happy. Another day living in the boondocks and I haven't gone crazy...or have I?






   
" Se me olvidó mi cuaderno en la biblioteca." Candice Reed

Just One Jar of CaliWA Salsa

1 diced jalapeño pepper or 1 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper seeds
1 chopped brown onion
2 Tablespoons diced assorted mild peppers
 3 Tablespoons of fresh pepper

 6 ripe tomatoes- any kind you want

1/4 teaspoon minced garlic,
24 Tablespoons diced, fresh cilantro


1 chopped brown onion
2 Tablespoons diced assorted mild peppers
 3 Tablespoons of fresh pepper
1 diced jalapeño pepper or 1 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper seeds
3 oz or 1/2 can (half of a 6 oz) of tomato paste - if you like a richer thicker flavor and texture
Optional: 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (Cumin makes the husband's throat close up so I don't use it...I don't think I used it!)
1 pinch salt
3 oz or 1/2 can (half of a 6 oz) of tomato paste - if you like a richer thicker flavor and texture 4 Tablespoons 5% apple cider vinegar  (or 4 Tablespoons of lemon juice) Optional: 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (Cumin makes the husband's throat close up so I don't use it...I don't think I used it!)


Cut everything up and toss together in a bowl. (If you notice, I cook mine but that's because I am canning it and stocking up for winter. Like a squirrel. Or a bear.)

If you like wetter salsa, toss it in a blender for a second or two.

For Gone Fruity Salsa, add half a fresh pineapple or 1 large can of pineapple chunks. Add peaches and or mandarin oranges. One Tablespoon of fresh ginger and one green onion. Chill, enjoy and serve up with a margarita- Salute Mrs. Cleaver!

2 comments:

  1. Just found you on pinterest, can't wait to try this recipe when the tomatoes come in this summer!

    ReplyDelete