The Laughing Matriarch

The Laughing Matriarch
ma·tri·arch/ˈ A woman who is the head of a family or tribe.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

How Many Carrots Am I Holding Up?

I was going to show you a cool video I took of myself with my new apple peeler, but I can't figure out how to download it.

And I took it with my phone, which I have to drive nine miles down the road to get any service. So screw it.
Since it's almost Halloween, I'm going to scare you straight with this post. It's a terrifying photo montage, but it could very well be your future. You can deny it all you want, but eventually, this will be your life.  I am going to show you what will happen to you if you don't eat your carrots. I hate carrots. But I love carrot soup. But I don't make it enough to see small print or the hairs  growing on my chin. Or the food in my teeth in any mirror that doesn't magnify 10x. Go figure.













So anyway, you need to eat your carrots, or at least my wonderful soup so you won't end up like the husband and I. Blind as effing bats.
  
The good news? We can hardly see each other after 30 years. Might be a good thing.


Good To See Ya Carrot Soup

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 onions, peeled and chopped
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • Salt and peppa
  • sour cream

Directions

In a 6-quart pan, over medium high heat, add butter and onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are limp. Add broth, carrots, and ginger. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced.
Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Don't fill the blender more than half way, do it in batches if you have to. Cover the blender and then hold a kitchen towel over the top of the blender so it doesn't explode. Be careful when blending hot liquids as the mixture can spurt out of the blender. Pulse the blender to start it and then puree until smooth. Return to the pan and add cream, stir over high heat until hot. For a smoother flavor bring soup to a boil, add salt and pepper, to taste.
Ladle into bowls, spoon some sour cream on top and dig in. Put on your damn glasses if you really want to see what you've created.

2 comments:

  1. I see glasses. Many many glasses. I love carrots. I will make your soup and probably get gas. I've been eating carrots since birth. I've been wearing glasses a long time. Please explain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely your poor eyesight has nothing to do with your daily habit of reading an entire novel? =)

    ReplyDelete