The Laughing Matriarch

The Laughing Matriarch
ma·tri·arch/ˈ A woman who is the head of a family or tribe.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Another Freakin Holiday Food Post...

but seriously, can you blame me?

It's St. Patty's Day, a day of beer and leprechauns and Lucky Charms cereal and Bushmills and...well I could go on, but I have a life to lead cha-cha.

Suffice to say ( I always wanted to write that) I am very busy earning a pot'-o- gold or two and  I wanted this meal to be as easy as finding a four-leaf clover. (Trust me, I have found 100's in my time.) But the thought of boiling a piece of meat that has already been brined in water did not really excite this Scottish/Polish/English/Chickasaw gal. So I mixed things up a little. Like Ireland and England.
Enjoy!

So I opened the bag-o-beef and threw it in the crock-o-pot. I added some leftover wine---a rare commodity---and ignored it for a few hours.

Sometime after Happy Hour I rescued the corn (corned?) beef and slathered it with a soy sauce/mustard/apricot jam glaze and threw it in the oven at 400 degrees.
Then I tentatively approached the chou-chou.

I tossed it in boiling water for a couple o' minutes... (are you catching on to the theme?)
I boiled some Yukon Golds and mashed them with sour cream, half & half  and butter. Lot's o' lots o' butter. (I'm out of control.)
Here is the brilliant part; I tossed the warm, buttery cabbage into the mashed potatoes. Oh sweet Jeezuz!
Sliced the baked corned beef...
Mixed it all up on my English China....and ...Ifreann na Fola! Delicious! 
I'm as surprised as you are!

And for dessert- Irish coffee and molasses cookies...I actually had some left from this afternoon. Ahem.

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light, May good luck pursue you each morning and night. ~Irish Blessing

1 comment: