The Laughing Matriarch

The Laughing Matriarch
ma·tri·arch/ˈ A woman who is the head of a family or tribe.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Working Backwards or Hardly Working?

So I haven't posted in a while which is not to say I have not been cooking. Because I have. Just ask my jeans. But I took on a new work project and I was caught up in the snow-of-the-century and I went to an island and, blah, blah, blah. Excuses.


But I was actually creating like crazy! I baked and I canned and I cooked and I poached and I invented and I borrowed recipes. And then I wrapped and I mailed a bunch of it to family and friends. I filled my Jeep with goodies, drove through a snow storm, jumped on a ferry and I ate and I ate all Thanksgiving weekend.


And now I must stop eating for a few weeks to gear up for the Christmas Holiday. But I won't stop creating. Maybe I'll feed the bears. I don't know, but here's a great recipe for Cashew Brittle that I cooked up last week and mailed to my friends in San Diego and gave to my friend Tracy here in Chelan. Me? I want to keep my teeth, so I only tasted a tiny bit. They said it was great so I believe them You should too!
More recipes from the past few weeks to come later. That way I don't have to eat.


Chelan Cashew Brittle

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup butter
  • 3 cups cashews
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Preparation:

In a large saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil; blend in butter. Begin to stir frequently when syrup reaches the thread stage, about 230°. When temperature is 280°, or soft-crack stage, add cashews. Stir constantly until hard-crack stage, 300°, is reached. Remove from heat and quickly stir in baking soda. Mix well. Pour onto two buttered baking sheets or jelly roll-size baking pans. As the candy cools, stretch it out thinner by lifting and pulling at edges with forks. Loosen from the pans as soon as possible and turn over. Break hardened candy up and store in an airtight container.
Makes about 2 pounds of cashew brittle.

2 comments:

  1. Yes Candice, it was really good! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, it's awesome! I thought those were cashews, but shoved it all in my mouth so fast I wasn't 100% sure! You are all about the extra touches! =)

    ReplyDelete