The Laughing Matriarch

The Laughing Matriarch
ma·tri·arch/ˈ A woman who is the head of a family or tribe.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Here I am!

Before you post a really cute photo of me on a telephone pole offering a huge reward for finding me- I thought I would finally write another post. I have tons of excuses; World Series, election B.S., work..I thought I would just move on and quickly post something I made last week. "Chicken Little Pot Pie" I have no idea why I call it that...better than...orgasmic pie. Because it was that good! So here are some photos of said dinner pie. I will post the recipe later today because if I don't get in the car and got to town I will not have anything to eat tonight.* As if. I just want to go shopping!

Chicken Little Pot Pie (no actual pot was used to make this pie.)

AND



AND....YUM!


Chicken Little Pot Pie


1 (2 1/2 to 3 lb.) broiler-fryer OR 4 chicken breasts- your call
1 onion, quartered
1 stalk celery, cut into pieces 1 tsp. dried whole basil
1 tsp. dried whole thyme
1 tsp. dried whole rosemary leaves, crushed (if you don't have any of these, just toss in the herbs you DO have.)
1 tsp. salt
1 bay leaf
1 c. finely chopped celery-
1 c. finely chopped onion
1 c. finely chopped carrots
1 or 2 chopped potatoes
1/3 c. butter, melted
1/2 cup or so of white wine OR, if you are pregnant or don't drink, use chicken broth:)
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. half and half
1 cube of cream cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper


Combine first 8 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cover with water or white wine and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Remove chicken from broth; strain broth, reserving 1 1/2 cups. Cool chicken, remove from bone, chop.
Saute celery, onion, carrot and potato in butter until crisp-tender. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add reserved broth, cream cheese, wine and half and half. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt, pepper and the chopped chicken.
Line greased pie-plate with bottom crust. Pour chicken mixture into crust and place second crust atop. Pinch edges of crusts together to seal and cut a few slits into top crust.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until top crust in golden brown. Let cool for 5-10 minutes and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delish!

    www.shortjewishgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make homemade chicken pot pie too, but (big surprise) I buy ready made crusts. As far as I'm concerned, rolling pins are for fighting cellulite! =)
    Please do post the recipe, I'm on the lookout for a new sauce.

    ReplyDelete