The Laughing Matriarch

The Laughing Matriarch
ma·tri·arch/ˈ A woman who is the head of a family or tribe.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Wanted: Comfort Food, Desperately Needed.

Yesterday I was wandering around the house avoiding the 47 football games that were blasting from the TV when the Husband stopped me and asked me to come and watch the horse race. Sure, the girl horse who had never lost was racing her very last race- cool. I'll watch. But she lost. Oh well. Now what shall I do? But then I look over at the Husband and see that he has tears in his eyes. Actual tears because the horse lost. A race. Oh Brother. (Note: he has also been known to cry at Yankee Stadium and all Meg Ryan movies.)

That's when I knew I needed to make him something extra delicious for dinner. Some comfort food to, you know, comfort him. To get over a horse race. That he didn't even have money on.

So I whipped up some crunchy-juicy, oven-baked fried chicken and the bestest smooshed potatoes in the world. No really, they are THE BEST. Try them and tell me they're not.

So- first I fried up some bacon and zapped 4 red potatoes for 8 minutes in the microwave. You can boil them too if you have all the time in the world to spend. Then I chopped up green onions and dug out some of those fried onion ring-things in a can.






Then I smooshed the potatoes with a masher- but I did NOT mash, just smooshed, and added half a cube of soft butter and enough sour cream to make them, well, as MOIST as you want them. Add lots and lots of salt and pepper, toss in the onion ring things and zap it all until it's nice and hot and top with more onion things. So delicious...so...comforting.
Happy to say the Husband got over the horse race. Until he reads the sports page this morning.
OH GET OVER IT!

3 comments:

  1. LOL! Excellent post! And you're right, those potatoes do sound like THE BEST EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds GREAT!! Too bad u live so far away -- you could cook for me :-). Enjoying the apricot jam -- shared a jar w/my sister when she visited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .......My large bottom LOVED the spud recipe.....:)

    ReplyDelete