The Laughing Matriarch

The Laughing Matriarch
ma·tri·arch/ˈ A woman who is the head of a family or tribe.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I Miss California...

..weather. Let me clarify that; I miss the California weather in winter. 

Well, for a couple months anyway. Other than that, I'm good. OK, and Mexican food. San Diego Mexican food such as Roberto's and Old Town cafes and Eden Gardens. I miss those. But that's IT! (I miss my Family/Friends- this goes without saying.)


So Saturday night I was getting a little frustrated with the Facebook postings about the perfect weather and The Husband was watching the golf tournament at Torrey Pines and the sunshine was blinding me and I was craving something...Californian, as only a native can do.


And then I thought about all the tri-tips we used to BBQ at our home in San Diego and I got a little verklempt. (A G.D.Vegan is now living in my ex-house. The horror!)

 My stomach began to growl and I  sucked it up and got to work creating a tri-tip almost as good as the best-tri-tip-I-ever-ate-in-San-Louis-Obispo-Oh-God-Julie-remember-how-good-that-was!


I marinated and chopped and bundled up and went out into the 20-something degree evening and this is what I created. So California- I'm good now. Ignore the crying phone calls.

California is a nice place to live - if you happen to be an Orange. (Dec 1945, American Magazine)   

Ingredients for California Tr-Tip

  • 2 to 2 1/2 lb beef tri-tip roast
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 cloves crushed garlic

Preparation:

Combine the black pepper, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, and cayenne in a small bowl. Rub on to all surfaces of the tri-tip. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours. Remove and let sit out for 30 minutes at room temperature.

Add the Dijon, vinegar, vegetable oil, and crushed garlic to a jar with a lid and shake vigorously until emulsified.

Prepare your charcoal or gas barbecue grill. Place the tri-tip on the grill and brush with the oil and vinegar mixture. Cocktail in hand, turn every 3-4 minutes, basting generously each time. Grill for 25-30 minutes for medium-rare (internal temp of 135 degrees F.). The outside of the roast will get very dark and develop a charred crust, this is desired and one of the signature characteristics of this barbecue recipe.

Remove the tri-tip from the grill to a large platter. Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing in 1/4" thick pieces across the grain. Serve leftovers the next morning with two friend eggs and sourdough bread. And a Bloody Mary.

3 comments:

  1. California misses you, winter, spring, summer or fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .....I wanna eat the computer screen......

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Mrs. Laughing Matriarch

    Sept 9, 1856

    From Mrs. Issac Cody
    Leavenworth Kansas

    Dear Ma’am,

    I am a wife and mother of five children all under 12 years old. My husband came home today after being away three months looking for work.

    My esteemed husband brought home: Oysters and Meat to add to our pantry of Grain Alcohol, coffee, tea, wheat, corn, and beans.

    We are squatters in a small house with a fireplace and hanging cook pots, pots, a pan, plates, hunting knives, and some cutlery. My sons can go gather wild grasses. How should I make bread? What should I cook and serve to my husband and boys? Then what should I cook for my little girls? I am enclosing a picture of my daughter, Irma, my little helper.

    Mother to mother I thank you for your true and constant friendship,
    Mary Laycock Cody
    See More

    ReplyDelete